The purpose of the Caring Team is to extend Christian compassion to persons in need by responding with physical, material and/or spiritual aid. This ministry looks for opportunities to provide for the needs of the congregation as well as those of the local community. Activities include:
- Home-bound Holy Communion: Several assisting ministers visit home-bound members of the congregation to serve Holy Communion. This provides frequent visits and fellowship to those unable to worship with us on Sundays.
- Prayer Shawls: Shawls which are hand-knitted or crocheted by members of our congregation are dedicated at a worship service and given to people in times of need, such as those dealing with an illness or grief. The group meets several times a year and invites newcomers.
- Warming Center: Clients of the Cary Food Pantry are provided a warm place to wait on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the months of November through March.
- The Giving Tree: During Advent, a Christmas tree is placed in the Narthex and decorated with tags bearing the gender, age and gift requests of community family members who need help during the holiday season. It is an opportunity for congregation members to take a tag, shop for a gift, and wrap it as a Christmas gift for the recipient.
- Meals: The team coordinates and provides meals for members during an illness, after hospitalization or at other times of need. They also help the food pantry by providing special items for the holiday season such as turkeys and hams.
- Lutheran World Relief: The team has done projects for Lutheran World Relief such as infant layettes, school bags, and personal care kits.
The Caring Team does several other activities throughout the year as needs arise such as making hospital visits, driving people to doctor appointments and sending grief packages to newly bereaved. They always welcome new members. For more information, please contact the church office at 847-639-3959 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org